In case you need it here are some simple tips on how to jump start your car. Please do this in a safe place and if you have any concerns as to what you are doing please call a professional.
How To Jump start A Car
1) Make sure the battery is the problem. You can look at the headlights to help decide whether it is the battery or not. If the headlights are dim, it is the battery; if they are bright, you have a different problem.
2) Open the hood of your car and locate the battery (consult your owner’s manual if you are unsure). Locate the positive (+) and the negative (-) terminals on the battery.
3) Park a car that has a working battery near the car that is having trouble. Turn off the engine, radio, lights, A/C, fans and all other electrical components in both cars.
4) Put on safety gloves if you have them. Look at the battery and inspect for visible cracks or leaks. If you see anything out of the ordinary, STOP and call a tow truck.
5) Take out your battery cables. Make sure the two ends never touch.
6) Connect one end of the red clamp to the positive (+) terminal of the dead battery and connect the other end of the red clamp to the other car’s good battery positive (+) terminal. Connect one end of the black clamp to the negative (-) terminal of the dead battery and the other end of the black clamp to the other car’s good battery negative (-) terminal.
7) Make sure the cables are not exposed to any moving parts of the engine; keep them outside of the engine compartment.
8) Start the working car and let it idle for a few minutes. Rev the engine a little above idle for 30-60 seconds to charge the dead battery.
9) Try to start the disabled vehicle. If it doesn’t start, shut the engine off and make sure there is a good connection between the cables. If after a few tries it still won’t start, you need to call a tow truck.
If you are successful in getting the other vehicle to start:
10) Remove the jumper cables in the reverse order that you attached them in. Remember, never let the two ends touch.
11) Keep the disabled car’s engine running slightly above idle for about five minutes. After that, keep the car’s engine on and at idle for about 20 minutes before turning it off.
Click Below For An Auto Insurance Quote.
* Never attempt to jump start a car yourself if you are unsure how to do it in the proper and safe way.