Water backup is one of the most common causes of loss to a homeowner, but is often misunderstood. Do you know what is and is not covered?
Water Backup – What Is covered:
- Coverage for water that backs up through sewers or drains as long as it originates on premises.
- Toilet or shower drain gets clogged and overflows causing damage.
What is not covered:
- Sewer lines in the street backs up and causes the overflow
- Water that escapes, overflows or discharges from a sump pump, pump well or any other system designed to remove water which is drained from the foundation area.
What is never covered:
- Flooding is the most common excluded coverage
- Water damage covered by surface water entering the house.
- Overflow originating off-premises
- Sewer water line breaking in the street and causing water to flow over the surface into the house.
- Sub surface water such as that from a swimming pool or sprinkler system.