If you are involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist, and you have insurance that includes collision coverage, turn the claim over to your company.

Good news, you’re covered. Bad news, you have to pay your deductible.

If all goes well your insurance company will negotiate a settlement on your behalf and your deductible will be included in the settlement and refunded to you. Typically, the deductible reimbursement is the first step of the process.

What If You Are In An Accident With An Uninsured Motorist And Do Not Have Collision Coverage

You’re going to have to take matters into your own hands.

Step one is to file a state accident report.

Here is a link that provides the form necessary.

Motor Vehicle Accident Report

Have your insurance agent assist you with filling out the form. Since there are some time restraints involved we would suggest that you file this report as soon as possible. This report needs to be filed in addition to any police report that you have been provided.

Mail the report to the Driver License Bureau Follow up in 4-5 business days to confirm that they have received the report and begun the process.
Contact information for the Driver License Bureau:

Driver License Bureau
P.O. Box 200
Jefferson City, MO 65105
Phone – 573-751-7195

Link to the Statute that applies.


Statute 303.030 and 303.042 reads:

If you are at fault for the accident and do not pay for the damages, your driver license and/or license plates will be suspended for one year. Your driver license and/or license plates can be reinstated within the one-year period provided you pay a $20 reinstatement fee and send proof to the Driver License Bureau that you have settled the accident loss.

As the process unfolds keep your insurance agent apprised of the status.

Another step you might take is filing a claim in small claims court.

Get An Insurance Quote Today From Insurance Advisors Of St. Louis(314) 842-0960