You never know what can happen when driving in flood conditions and we highly recommend that you never do it. If it’s something you feel like you cannot avoid no matter the situation take these six tips into account when you are thinking about driving through roads that are in flooded condition. Again our first piece of advice is to never drive through flood conditions in the first place to be safe.
Important Reminders When Driving In Flood Conditions:
- Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars which will cause loss of control and possible stalling.
- A foot of water will float some vehicles.
- Two feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including SUVs and pickups.
- Do not attempt to drive through a flooded road. The depth of water is not always obvious. The roadbed might be washed out.
- Never drive around a barricade. Barricades are there for your protection.
- Do not take short cuts. They may be blocked. Stick to designated evacuation routes.
- Be cautious about driving at night when it is harder to recognize flood dangers.
- Remember you can always get more information about flood insurance by clicking here or the image below.