Anyone entering your property has the right to expect a safe environment. Including homeowner’s, tenants, landlords or anyone else. It’s the responsibility of the property owner or tenant to provide that safe environment. Insurance that covers individuals who are injured by an unsafe environment is called premises liability insurance.
While exact terms of this insurance vary by state, the liability is always based on the nature of the injured party. In order to have a basic understanding of premises liability, a homeowner or renter should be familiar with the following terms:
- Licensee – Someone who enters into or upon your property with permission. Examples include invited guests, visiting family members or salespersons who have permission to enter the property. As a homeowner, you have a duty to prevent injuries caused by circumstances or conditions of which you are aware.
- Business Invitee – Someone who enters your property under your own inducement, usually for a business or commercial purpose. Examples of business invitees include pizza delivery person, the cable guy, garage sale customers, etc. Just as with licensees, homeowners and renters have a duty to regularly expect their property for hazardous conditions or circumstances, and take reasonable steps to prevent business invitees from falling prey to such hazards.
- Trespasser – A person who enters into or upon your property without permission, for their own reasons and not for your benefit. Examples of these include burglars or rowdy neighborhood children.
Examples of premises liability Insurance exposures:
- Slip and fall
- Inadequate maintenance of the dwelling
- Dog bites and animal attacks
- Defective or unlit stairways
- Swimming pool accidents
- Snow and ice accidents
- Fire (If you are responsible for starting a fire, you are liable for your neighbor’s fire, smoke, and water damage.)
- Balcony or deck defects
- Tripping due to uneven surfaces
- Absence of a handrail
- Alcohol-related incidents
- Food poisoning
If this information wasn’t enough for you to completely understand premises liability insurance, don’t worry. Just call us or you can fill Out Our Form For A Free Insurance Quote In Minutes: If you click below you can get a free quote there too!